Holmgren calls McCoy to talk about Browns QB talk

Posted by Vic Carucci on March 26, 2012 – 10:53 pm

By Vic Carucci, Senior Editor

PALM BEACH, Fla. – If you’re Colt McCoy, you’ve heard a whole lot of conversation about, well, yourself.

And most of the talk has involved the possibility of the Cleveland Browns finding a replacement for McCoy as their starting quarterback, as in pursuing the second overall pick of the draft to choose Baylor’s Robert Griffin III or shopping for a passer in free agency.

Browns president Mike Holmgren felt the time had come to give McCoy a phone call, which he made recently, as he revealed during an exclusive interview on “Cleveland Browns Daily, Driven by Liberty Ford” at the NFL owners’ meetings here.

“I just wanted to remind him there’s been a lot spoken and a lot written about our situation and other situations around the league, quite frankly,” Holmgren said on the show. “There’s a lot mentioned about the draft and potentially what we’re going to do. And all he can really control is what he does. All he can really do is become the best player he can be and try and block out all of the rest of the stuff.

“And that’s easier said than done, because we’re all human. But that was my message to him.”

Holmgren said McCoy responded well to what he heard during the conversation. And that was exactly what the club president expected.

“He responds like I expect him to respond, like he has responded to me and I think to (coach) Pat (Shurmur) and to anybody that talks to him in the building since he got to Cleveland,” Holmgren said. “He’s a very capable young man, he cares, he works harder than any 10 people. I mean, he’s what you want.”

Holmgren had a message for fans who don’t think McCoy is the right man to lead the Browns after they saw him and the rest of the team’s offense struggle during a 4-12 finish.

“He could be judged off of last year’s performance, but don’t judge him too harshly,” Holmgren said. “He got knocked around a little bit, a lot. His attitude was great. He’s actually entering into his really second full season of play, so he has a lot of years ahead of him. And we still all believe in what he can do.

“Now, I also said to him — and I’ve said it to other people — we’re always going to try to make the quarterback position competitive. We’re always going to be looking at other quarterbacks every year whether in the draft or free agency because of the importance of the position.”

>>Be sure to tune in Monday through Friday, 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. ET, for Cleveland Browns Daily, Driven by Liberty Ford on ESPN 850 WKNR or catch the live stream right here on ClevelandBrowns.com.

>>Have a question for “Cleveland Browns Daily, Driven by Liberty Ford”? Ask me at Twitter.com/viccarucci

Posted in Carucci's Call | 34 Comments »

34 Responses to “Holmgren calls McCoy to talk about Browns QB talk”

1. By letsgoholmgren on Mar 27, 2012 | Reply

I wanted RG3 like everyone else, but to judge McCoy now, as if he’s reached his ceiling, is nuts. I mean, Holmgren replaced Hasselbeck with Dilfer before things finally clicked in Seattle. Also, Drew Brees still sucked after his third year.

Give the guy time.

2. By Grim dog on Mar 27, 2012 | Reply

The case for drafting tannehill. 1. My first argument for Tannehill.
    Tannehill played in the same west coast offense Holmgren advocates. Mike Sherman, who was tannehill’s coach at a&m and Holmgren’s oc at green bay, ran the same west coast offense the Browns run so Tannehill will know the west coast terminology without facing the learning curve most rookie spread qb face. Even though tannehill played a limited time at a & m, he already has a step up based on his knowledge of the west coast offense.

2. Secondly, tannehill has a 93 grade from scouts inc and is rated their 13th play. Qbs carry a premium over position players so taking him at 4 is not a huge reach. Newton had a final grade of 93 last year and he was rookie of the year. Like tannehill, newton had limited starting experience. This  years qb class overall carries an A rating so tannehill may have been a first or second pick in next years draft. By most scouts accounts, gil brant, Cosell, Russ lande, and mayock, tannehill has the ability to become a franchise qb so you take him.  Also, these scouts have tannehill rated above landry (next year 2nd rated qb), ponder and locker (qbs taken in round one last year).

3. Third, tannehill’s skill set translates well to the nfl. Unlike colt, tannehill can make every nfl throw. Tannehill is also mobile in the pocket, he’s faster than colt and was only sacked 3 times last year. Tannehill has an extremely high iq, he could go to med school, high iq is an important qb trait. Tannehill is accurate in a west coast offense, unlike most spread qbs, who have high completion percentages from short throws, tannehill’s accuracy came in our style of offense. He would have had a higher completion percentage if he would not have suffered 62 drops.

3. By wildcatman on Mar 27, 2012 | Reply

I absolutely agree. Just look what this group in the head office has done in the last two years to the defense. If they can turn the offense around even close to that quickly, it’s a miracle to say the least. There’s no sense in drafting a high priced quarterback if he has no one to throw to. Meanwhile, we might just find out that we have a gamer on our hands when he has some protection and targets.

4. By brwns_fan on Mar 27, 2012 | Reply

If WR’s will only run a clean route, catch the ball, and HOLD ON I’ll be happy. Any YAC are gravy. WR’s need to do what Hines Ward did, get in the DB’s head. IF WR’s can do that, Colt will do better than fine, He’ll be GREAT. (Sorry Tony the Tiger).

5. By User on Mar 27, 2012 | Reply

If McCoy gets a running game and 1 more good WR, I think he can finally prove that he is a starting-caliber quarterback and could lead this team to greatness!

6. By ResurectOttoGrahm on Mar 27, 2012 | Reply

I agree, if Colt can get some solid pass protection, some addtl WRs with speed who can catch, coupled with a solid running game, finally, utilize Ben Watson and especially Evan Moore and we can be a very dangerous team. Add Claiborne as another shut down DB along with Haden, get another impact LB to help Jackson and Cogong and we can be a year or two away from competing for the Lombardi Trophy.

The browns were a prestigous NFL franchise, The fans are the best in the world and stretch out to every pocket of the world. The city is a phenomenol sports town that deserves a winner. Its been far too long.

7. By MikeinWestVirgina on Mar 27, 2012 | Reply

I totally agree with the comment above. we need a solid backfield,
    and at least 1 maybe 2 WR’s…also on the WR’s they need to spend a load
    full of time on the hands drill, all the drops they had from last year was terrible at best.you can’t count YAC without securing the ball !!!!
    As per Colt being a franchise QB…I honestly think if he can get the protecton
    and the weapons, then yes, he most certainly can. the thing about both Luck and RJ3, if they had the backfield like we did and the receiving corps like we did last year, they WOULDNOT be top shelf draft picks this year !!!!
    If the front office does things correctly in FA and the draft then I think a 8-8 season would not be a bad year, anything less than that I would consider it a bust….we are not that far away from getting all the tools to challenge for a playoff spot, maybe in a year or two !!!!

8. By tulsa browns fan on Mar 27, 2012 | Reply

The Browns should draft Brandon Weeden…..there is not a player in college with a cannon for an arm like him..not even Luck, not even close…as far as the age concern, Denver just picked up a 36 year old QB….if Cleve can get 8 good years from Weeden, he will be a bargain to the nth degree…..get him and his stud teamate Blackmon, and they will be ready so score, and score plenty the very first year.

9. By DMAN..Ohio Browns fan on Mar 27, 2012 | Reply

I think as most do…McCoy deserves the QB position with the right players around him..a better ol..cpl speed receivers that can catch…and a better riunning game..so get him the players..then its up to him to perform..but I believe he deserves the chance..GO BROWNS

10. By Bert A. Coon on Mar 27, 2012 | Reply

Why is everyone talking 2 or 3 years. We led in nearly every 4th quarter…we were a play away from winning the last Pittsburg game. A number 1 wide receiver with speed, coupled with what we got (his mere presence improves the entire position), and we’re a contender. There are never any guarantees, but once we make ourselves competitive, some of the chips will fall our way I’m 73, from central New York state, I remember the great years. Go Browns!!

11. By Bill on Mar 27, 2012 | Reply

Give Colt a chance.Don’t slap him in the face like Denver did to Tebow.McCoy
    has proven himself worthy.Give him the personnel he needs to get the job done
    and he will respond,just like he did when he was thrown into the game as a rookie.He’s first starting game was against the Steelers,yes we lost the game,but Colt showed that he was capible of doing what needed to be done.

12. By Rodney Wynn on Mar 27, 2012 | Reply

Please get Colt a running back. We don’t need R2D2 or C3PO, we need Richardson. If the Browns can get a healthy Hillis 1100 yds, I’m thinking 1400-1600 for Richardson. Play action easily gives Colt another 1/2 second to find somebody. Please get a running back, extra draft choices never made a 1st down in the NFL.

13. By frank in rochester ny on Mar 27, 2012 | Reply

i think were in GREAT SHAPE mccoy i think this will be his break out year all the otas +camps will make a big difference . a good draft is the key to us getting over the hump i half our picks pan out everybody better look out for THE CLEVELAND BROWNS

14. By kirby on Mar 27, 2012 | Reply

Last year we had 2 rookie guards, a crippled rt tackle, 2nd teer backs, one legitimate wr and a rookie and new head coach, new o-coordinator, a shortened pre season. The head coach never said a good thing about colt, like he is our guy. Terry Bradshaw said he had no confidence until Coach Knoll finally said”we can not win without you”. Surround this kid, Colt with some talent and I guarantee he will play at the top.I believe in Colt!!!!!

15. By Robb on Mar 27, 2012 | Reply

I can see why the Browns wanted to go after RGIII..but to react to hard against Colt McCoy without seeing other and more impact players surrounding him would be unfair. Its a tough call but most likely we will know after the 2012 season whether Colt is the QB the organization wants. Were pulling for you colt here in Logan county! Go Browns!

16. By homer on Mar 27, 2012 | Reply

HE NEEDS A GOOD RECEIVERS, Browns need it so look for them. You could have a good QB but if you don’t have receivers nothing will chnage

17. By Buck Sr on Mar 27, 2012 | Reply

I am one who did not want to give up all the picks for 1 player, RG. We need players, not a player.
    Running the West Coast offense, you dont need a super rb either.

18. By Bill on Mar 28, 2012 | Reply

With the right set of WR’s and RB’s.The Browns will be back to where they werein the 80′s,when Bernie and company had the field.With the group the we have in the front office now I believe that we will be able to finally take home the big trophy,maybe not this year,but sometime in the not too distant future.

19. By soulmates on Mar 28, 2012 | Reply

OK, I just started being a fan. I have been a Steelers fan all my life, was actually made to be. \My husband, a browns fan got me to convert. Along with the fact that I can’t stand BIG BEN. I went to the Baltimore home game last season, it was awesome I think we would have won had Colt not got hurt. I have came to love him this past season. We need to keep him, he is good, he needs protected in the pocket, and some WR’s and RB’s. I am planning on going to a couple games this season, and I look forward to seeing some winning games. I think with some working together the Browns can make it big. I believe in Colt.

20. By brownsFans#1 on Mar 28, 2012 | Reply

Another decent offensive lineman. Draft Richardson or try to trade for Matt Forte, who is unhappy in Chicago. One speedy receiver and work with Greg Little on drop-balls. The problem with our Browns is not just Colt.

21. By curt on Mar 28, 2012 | Reply

most people wont agree with me but shoping for a qb shouldnt have been an option unless they went for an experenced west coast guy to help colt learn. i think we need to give some one a chance to build something in cleveland instead of two years than your done. if you play in the north you need time to build because no one should be expected to beat these defense consistanly after 2 years lol.

22. By Bernard on Mar 28, 2012 | Reply

Thank you Browns fans. I too follow the Browns. Your thoughts and opinions are well received. Again thank you.

23. By bleedforbrowns on Mar 29, 2012 | Reply

I say we pick up vince young in free agency and give him a chance. He just spent a year in a west cost system and has all the skill.

24. By Browns fan in Texas on Mar 29, 2012 | Reply

Been a Browns fan all my life, and was happy to see the browns draft Colt Mccoy in 2010. Watch every game colt played at Texas and he was and still is a great leader. Needs WRs who don’t drop balls and a RB to replace Payton Hillis. Since the browns have two first round picks would like to see them take a WR (Justin Blackmon – OK state) and a RB with their second pick, hopefully Trent Richardson ALA will be available.

25. By Bill Ward on Mar 29, 2012 | Reply

Can I get a big AMEN,on drafting Blackmon from OK State Richardson from ALA
    Colt IS our man at QB and these 2 men would be the impact players that we need.

26. By Jeff Barninger on Mar 29, 2012 | Reply

Evaluate McCoy after he has had preseason training and practice. Also provide weapons for him. So evaluate him and the team at the end of the 2012 season This would be fair and it would provide the team the basis to move forward with McCoy or make changes for the 2013 season.

27. By bleedforbrowns on Mar 29, 2012 | Reply

Blackmon or Richardson we wont be able to get both. I’d trade back a few slots get another pick and get one of them. One should be there at 5,6,7,8, With the 22 pick take Tannehill if he is there but he wont be therefore take baylor wideout at that spot.

28. By Bill Ward on Mar 30, 2012 | Reply

I completely agree with both Jeff Baringer and bleedforbrowns.Both Blackmon and Richardson may not be there,get which ever one you can.Pickup someone from free agency if possible.Then give Colt and the rest of the team acomplete review at the end of this season and make adjustments from there.

29. By The330code on Mar 30, 2012 | Reply

Mccoy is pretty deadly from 7-15 yards he just needs some hands to hold on. Someone also mentioned that a rb would take a ton of pressure away from the pass rush;I believe that will be a huge factor for Colt and the Oline. I believe in Colt and think to draft a qb in even the 2nd round would be a waste of a pick. 3rd round go for it if there is someone worth the pick I believe that our defense is even more stifling if they can get off the field once in a while but another premium d-liner or db never hurt anyone.

30. By BEERMAN on Mar 30, 2012 | Reply

GIVE THE GUY SOME HELP !!!

31. By Tman74 on Mar 30, 2012 | Reply

I think Colt McCoy is hands down the best QB we have had since Bernie Kosar. Not even Peyton Manning will succeed without weapons. I think this draft is simple. Trent Richardson is the best back I’ve seen in this draft since Adrian Peterson. I would take Richardson at #4 and then the best available receiver at #22. Speed is not the most important attribute in a receiver, see (Jerry Rice) for additional. In the second round the Browns need to take the best availabe talent over all for the positions most needed (pass rusher, corner, or offensive lineman). Overall I think our talent staff is doing a decent job. I wish they would be more aggressive in Free Agency. I do not understand not going after Mario Williams or one of the receivers available. You have to be aggressive to win in this league. I have been a die hard fan since 85 and it has been rough for a while. I left Ohio over ten years ago and still watch every game. Many times being the only fan in the bar here in Texas. Don’t forget the later round picks too. Gems are waiting to be found. I would take players who are dedicated to succeed over talent anyday.

32. By Tman74 on Mar 30, 2012 | Reply

Also I am not rooting for Colt because I live in Texas. I am a die hard OSU fan and always will be. Colt just has that leadership quality and is a coachable player willing to do whatever it takes to get better. That seems rare these days.

33. By 419brownsfanforever on Apr 2, 2012 | Reply

I beg of the guy’s in the front office to please get Mc Coy some weapons!! No One can win with all the dropped passes, no running game, running for your life because of no protection or your recievers are not open. I have seen one Championship game in 1964, and some damn good games in the 80′s and all these teams had protection,a running game and good recievers ! Give the KID another year with some help and see what happens, then if he is missing the open man like he did on a few occasions this past season then make the change . But for now he deserves another year!

34. By conni on Apr 3, 2012 | Reply

i agree with most of all the above. keep colt!!!!!! after all, with mangini it was a different offense and now with the new west coast offense he had to learn….well, also, no protection….i believe in colt and think he has a great football mind….come on. i am believing in mike holmgren and i hope he knows we need playmakers. i am for blackmon for the 1st pick…..then build around that……love the browns……i used to wait on kevin mack and ernest byner all the time when i worked in cleve. also ozzie newsome and marty…..let us get back to those days. i remember the drive and the fumble sad to say but we were good…….go browns…….love cribbs and hayden..play with heart like mccoy.