Browns take Phil Taylor

Posted by Matt Florjancic on April 29, 2011 – 2:22 am

With the 21st pick in the 2011 NFL Draft, the Browns selected former Baylor University defensive tackle Phil Taylor.

Taylor registered 107 total tackles, five sacks and one interception in three years at Baylor and Penn State University.

Taylor was introduced by Browns running back Peyton Hillis, the winner of the Madden NFL 12 cover voting contest.

The Browns traded the 27th overall pick and a third round selection to the Kansas City Chiefs and moved up to the 21st spot.

Posted in Draft Blog | 17 Comments »

17 Responses to “Browns take Phil Taylor”

1. By Rem on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

Good pick up as long as he stays healthy. Congrats to Hillis.

2. By mike on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

I know this fills a need, not quite a pass rusher but will help stop the run which is needed in our division. just hope we can find a playmaking WR in the 2nd round.

3. By Jason on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

Fills a big need with Rogers gone. I’m hoping for the WR out of Pitt in the second round. I liked Julio Jones after watching him play, I disliked him as a Cleveland Brown after hearing him speak (can you say Plexico Burress?). The trade with Atlanta was a good one for sure, the trade to move up is a good one, they only gave up a 3rd, if Taylor stays healthy and isn’t a problem child. The front office knows what they’re doing moreso than I do, I’ll trust their judgement. Go Browns!!!

4. By Chris on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

I hope we can get Greg Little. I see him as a Greg Jennings type of playmaker. A real value pick here. I also hope that we can grab a DE Like Brooks Reed. Or Someone to rush the passer.

5. By Jim Donovan on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

This is a pick that was about the first one of the round. I heard that the Browns wanted to make a pick of this type in one of the first three or four rounds and they get a player who can play football. When this player steps on the field, they will have someone who will be there when the ball is snapped. This is a draft pick.

6. By Jim Donovan on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

What I meant to say is that the Browns wanted to pick a player in this draft and they did. They wanted a player, possibly on defense, possibly on offense, who can be on the field at the same time as when big plays are going on around him. When that happens, a team can either win or lose, and with a player that is drafted, he can either make the difference or not. By going out and picking a player with their first pick, the Browns have done just that, they have soldified the first round of the draft. Next year, I think they will also select a player who is capable of playing.

7. By John on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

With Rogers gone Taylor should help feel the void and help stop the run. I did not see this one coming but I have faith in Tom Heckert and company to select the right guys to help us compete in the AFC North Divison. Phil Taylor showed he has heart and the size to back it up. If Taylor can stay healthy he might be one of the biggest steals in this years draft.

8. By Roger on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

Mixed feelings on this one. Had a few DE’s available, Cameron Jordan, Heyward and Bowers with plenty of DT’s there for the picking in the 2nd round. Not sure this pick warranted giving a 3rd pick as well. However, If he truly is an every down player at DT, with run stopping ability, and capable of pushing the pocket, he may be the right selection

9. By Mark Tobias on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

Love the pick. For years I have watched EVERYONE run at will against the Browns. We got someone who is big, nasty, and will make life difficult for AFC North lineman. You can’t teach size and Taylor brings alot of it. What makes it better is that we gained picks and can improve the team even more and make our way back to respectability. Good Luck Taylor, look forward to seeing you next to Rubin in the Orange and Brown.

10. By John P on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

I really like Big Phil Taylor. He will be a nice 2 gap DT in our 4-3 and when teamed up with Rubin could give us a Bears like dline with Tractor Trailer and Mount Washington or dare I say like the ’01 Ravens with Sarungusa and that other big DT they had. 2 Dlinemen eating up 4 Olineman sounds good to me :) We will def be able to stop the run with all that beef. Then with some good pashrushers at DE we are looking good up front. I am really rooting for us to take Bowers in the second, knee issue or not, Brooks Reed or Justin Houston. Could be a nasty front 4 with any of them in there. I am also excited to see who they look at to play WR. Good luck H&H and company tomorrow and Go Browns!!!! In H&H we Trust!!!!

11. By floyd on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

great job getting out of that pick and to get those amount of picks in return.
    i watched film of taylor and he looks like fred robbins of the rams but he is a player who has been pretty solid for a long time in the nfl.
    for the first time in many years i like what they did.
    also i am sick of people calling it the new england patrots method if people trade down to get multiple picks.
    it’s called the intelligent method and has nothing to do with new england
    we need a wr for sure but we need db’s and lb’s more
    i like curtis brown a db from texas
    and for obvious reasons we can’t pass on casey matthews as long as it is later in draft

12. By Tommy on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

I really liked what the Browns did in the first round by trading down and adding two more picks in this draft and getting a 1st and 4th in next years draft. Great move. The second trade really confused me though. Why trade down from 27 to 21 and give up a third round pick for a guy thats more than likely going to be there at 27? I could see doing it for someone like Cameron Jordan who went 24th, but not Taylor. I really believe he would have been there. Thats just my opinion though. I have all the confidence in the world in the front office, i feel they are really turning things around in Cleveland, and really know what there doing. As far as Taylor goes, I really like the looks of this kid, just Big and Nasty looking. I cant wait to see him lined up beside Rubin looking over that Steeler line ! I just hope we can add a DE with the 37th pick, maybe DaQuan Bowers. I know about the injury, but I just have a feeling he would be worth taking a chance on. Then maybe with the fourth round pick, from the Falcons, adding another DE like Sam Acho or Greg Romeus. Wow! What a way to start back with the 4-3 D. Anyway, please dont think that I’m ragging on our draft team, they did one heck of a job last year and this year is looking more of the same, if not better. I really see this football team going in the right direction, and the AFC North is soon going to be overran by a bunch of WILD DAWGS !!! Go Browns.

13. By bob on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

how bout some help for Colt McCoy

14. By Austin on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

I would like to see the Browns grab Torrey Smith WR from Maryland. I was actually really impressed by him at the combine and he had a productive year. Colt McCoy has the skill set but he needs some one to throw to. If the Browns decide not to go for a WR they may try to go for a value pick and draft Da’Quan Bowers DE from Clemson. Many people had Bowers going first in the draft and if he lingers around for Cleveland they may take him.

15. By Jon on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

Nice pick. With Da’Quan Bowers still on the board going into the second round, and now with two picks in the second round, I hope we can pick him up with a good WR. That would shore up so much of the positions of need with many picks left to go this year.

16. By Greg K on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

Next pick needs to be a WR. With Green gone, we should be looking at the kid from Miami.

17. By Nick on Apr 29, 2011 | Reply

I love the pick. With Bowers available still, the browns need to pick him up. Taylor and Bowers would be a great combo on a side of the line. After i feel they should see if akeem ayers sticks around if not they should pick up torrey smith or even austin pettis. Cant wait to see what happens in round 2 today. In Holmgren and Heckert we trust. Go Browns